[Clfs-support] the forgotten clfs-3.0 book and the other clfs website

Andrew Bradford andrew at bradfordembedded.com
Mon Nov 28 05:45:27 PST 2016

Hi Michele,

On 11/23 17:28, Michele Bucca wrote:
> Il 23 nov 2016 4:50 PM, "Justin R. Knierim" <cross-lfs at knierim.org> ha
> scritto:
> >
> > On 11/21/2016 2:28 PM, Michele Bucca wrote:
> >>

> >> I wonder why this book is not listed on clfs.org <http://clfs.org>. It
> is not reachable from linuxfromscratch.org <http://linuxfromscratch.org>
> nor from clfs.org <http://clfs.org>
> >>

> >> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/clfs/view/clfs-3.0/
> >>
> >> This 3.0 version is different from the current one. you should make this
> book available again and put it into a proper location. anyway how can I
> make an offline copy of the book above using wget?
> >>
> > I believe that URL needs to be removed, as it is obviously pointing to a
> very old version of the book
>
> i think it should be kept and updated, as it is the only version of clfs
> that features the uClibc library.

You can always fetch a copy of the git repositories for any of the CLFS
books and checkout the revision of interest to you.  You'll have to
build the book from it's XML format into HTML or PDF, but there's a
makefile to help with doing that.

If you want to see the last embedded book which used uClibc (before the
switch to musl libc) you can checkout the clfs-embedded git repo [1] and
then checkout commit SHA d6d36176b815ec1c20201e5c52140299ee5b0545.  This
is the last commit before musl started showing up to replace uClibc,
made on October 14, 2013.

[1]: http://git.clfs.org/?p=clfs-embedded.git;a=summary

In order to build the book into HTML format, you'll need a few tools on
your host system.  These are documented in the BOOK/INSTALL file.

Exact steps to do what I mentioned above:

git clone git://git.clfs.org/clfs-embedded.git
cd clfs-embedded
git checkout d6d36176b815ec1c20201e5c52140299ee5b0545
cd BOOK
make

Thanks,
Andrew