[Clfs-support] Strange cross-tools eglibc failure

Michael Labriola michael.d.labriola at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 10:49:15 PDT 2014

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 9:13 AM, William Harrington
<kb0iic at berzerkula.org> wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2014, at 1:36 PM, Michael D Labriola wrote:
>
>> Hey guys, I found my problem a few days ago and forgot to tell everyone. I
>> had CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS set in my environment...  I didn't realize they
>> were set, and section 5.2 only has you unset CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS.  Glad I
>> fixed it, but sheesh that took forever to track down.
>

> Well, the problem is that you weren't changing to the clfs user properly.

Indeed it was.  I've been booting my CLFS system at the end of chapter
7 as a Xen virtual machine.  I'd added Xen, emacs, zsh, and a lots of
other goodies to my host system by installing them in my homedir.
Anything that uses pkg-config works just fine after adjusting
PKG_CONFIG_PATH... but things that don't install .pc files need
CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS set in order for configure scripts to find them.
You see where this is going.  ;-)

I was logged in as my normal user, and had just parsed the clfs user's
settings into my environment.

> If you su - clfs  then you won't have that issue,
>
> if you su clfs  then you will have that issue.

Was doing neither, admittedly.  I've been doing these builds on and
off for 10+ years and got brave/crazy/lazy.  And I got exactly what I
deserved.  :-/

> Why did you have CPPFLAGS and LDLFAGS set as root when you su to clfs
> anyway?
>
> When you su - clfs it'll take up the environment of the clfs user so you
> will have no issues.
>
> I don't think this belongs in section 5.2. Makes no sense how CPPFLAGS and
> LDFLAGS would be in the clfs user's environment when you enter it properly.

Your call.  But why unset CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS w/out also unsetting
CPPFLAGS?  Neither CFLAGS or CXXFLAGS would be set at that point
either, if I'd been the clfs user.

--
Michael D Labriola
21 Rip Van Winkle Cir