[Clfs-support] Strange cross-tools eglibc failure

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Sat Mar 29 20:07:23 PDT 2014

On Mar 29, 2014, at 12:49 PM, Michael Labriola wrote:

> But why unset CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS w/out also unsetting
> CPPFLAGS?  Neither CFLAGS or CXXFLAGS would be set at that point
> either, if I'd been the clfs user.

Your last reply didn't get sent to clfs-support.

One reason for this is for when using automated builds, especially
with jHALFS,
when the build system or user doesn't change to the clfs user per the
book instructions.

For the user, this was started in the first place way before CLFS
branched from LFS.

http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/714

I think this is when LFS started adding CXXFLAGS and CFLAGS, but I
don't remember how the user changed to the lfs user.

Need to review LFS 3.3 in the LFS museum for that.  CLFS carried over
what LFS 6.x was doing back in the day.

If CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS are needed, then we'll need to add every other
environment variable in the world.

Example which affects GCC directly:

LANG
LC_CTYPE