[Clfs-support] ftdi_sio

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Thu May 20 15:59:11 PDT 2010

  On 05/20/2010 05:20 AM,  John Walton wrote:
> CLFS-1.1.0-rc1-x86
> This version of the book uses linux-2.6.24.7 as the kernel.
> Unfortunatly for me the driver
> /drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.c
> was not included in this kernel.
> It was first included in the 2.4 series.
> It was ment to be replaced by a generic driver.
> The generic driver did not work and ftdi_sio was later put back.
> There are various references to this on the net.
> I am not the only person in the world to have this problem.
> There are  patches for  distributions.
> 1. Is there such a thing is an official patch ?
>          and if so how do I get it and apply it ?
> 2. Is it possible to use a later kernel ?
>       ( anyone had experience good or bad )

Official Patches are a git diff from kernel.org around here, if you
don't know how, then might I suggest google?

You can use a later kernel without issues, just remember that any
packages you installed that installed a kernel module will need to be
reinstalled.

I have a usb -> serial adapter that I use regularly which uses this
driver. I don't remember ever having an issue with it, I also don't
upgrade that particular system that often either.

CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_FTDI_SIO

I can say that it's present in 2.6.33.1.