[Clfs-support] Still No Internet

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Thu Oct 22 23:57:49 PDT 2009

On 10/23/2009 01:08 AM, Dan McGhee wrote:
> Chris Staub wrote:
>>
>> I simply copied the "template" bootscript to a new one called
>> "wireless" where I put the appropriate iwconfig commands in, then made
>> it run just before the "network" script.
> I'm not familiar with the "template" bootscript.

It's the file named "template", in the same place as all the other
bootscripts...

>> There are probably plenty of other ways to make it work at boot time
>> (alternatively, I used to just add an "iwconfig" command right in the
>> network bootscript itself, just before the ifup command), but that
>> seems to me to be the easiest.
> Yeah, and I was thinking a RUN statement in the udev rule too. But,
> assuming that we're talking about the name of my router only, I wouldn't
> be able to connect in a hotel or hot spot.

I just configure it manually for those situations.

One thing that I didn't
> mention in the original description of my problem is that "iwconfig" for
> my wireless card shows 'ESSID "" '. I've not been able to change that to
> anything but the name of my router. I haven't been able to come up with
> a word like any, off or auto that will get it to change. I thinking "ap
> auto" will help too.

Um, that's exactly how it's supposed to work. "iwconfig" will only show
you where it is *currently* connected (or is trying to connect), which
will always be either blank or the specified ESSID. Of course it's
certainly possible to use "auto" but I personally don't recommend it.
For example, if a neighbor happened to get a wireless router you might
end up connecting to that instead.