[Clfs-support] Still No Internet

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Thu Oct 22 22:08:33 PDT 2009

Chris Staub wrote:
> On 10/23/2009 12:34 AM, Dan McGhee wrote:
>> Thanks for refreshing my memory. I did that while I was trying to get it
>> to work, but not after I settled on dhcp-3.1.0. Setting the ESSID to the
>> name of my router allowed the card to connect! Now I know it's just a
>> matter of configuration to get it to come up at boot time.
>
> I simply copied the "template" bootscript to a new one called
> "wireless" where I put the appropriate iwconfig commands in, then made
> it run just before the "network" script.
I'm not familiar with the "template" bootscript.

> There are probably plenty of other ways to make it work at boot time
> (alternatively, I used to just add an "iwconfig" command right in the
> network bootscript itself, just before the ifup command), but that
> seems to me to be the easiest.
Yeah, and I was thinking a RUN statement in the udev rule too. But,
assuming that we're talking about the name of my router only, I wouldn't
be able to connect in a hotel or hot spot. One thing that I didn't
mention in the original description of my problem is that "iwconfig" for
my wireless card shows 'ESSID "" '. I've not been able to change that to
anything but the name of my router. I haven't been able to come up with
a word like any, off or auto that will get it to change. I thinking "ap
auto" will help too.

Gonna try more tomorrow.

Thanks, Chris.

Dan