[Clfs-support] Tying to Move-on to CBLFS but Stopped at Networking

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Sat Oct 10 17:51:32 PDT 2009

Joe Ciccone wrote:
> Dan McGhee wrote:

<snip>
>> However, <ls /dev | grep wlan> gives no output.
>>
> I wouldn't expect anything different.
>
>> <udevadm info --query=all --name=/dev/wlan0> returns "device node not
>> found." Same for wlan1.
>>
> Same as above, /dev entries do not exist for network interfaces.

I didn't know that. Thanks.
>> <more snipping>
>> <dmesg> and <lsmod> tell me that everything is recognized, it seems
>> that the devices are not being created. Below is info from <udevadm
>> info --attribute-walk --name=/sys/class/net/wlan{0,1} and the rule for
>> each from 70-persistent-net-rules.
>>
>> udevadm info for wlan0:
>>
> <snip>
>
>> I need to mention that in /sys/bus/pci there is another name--phy0.
>> It's the parent of wlan0. The rules got generated by <udevadm test>.
>>
>> Can anyone see anything that I'm missing. At this point is has to be
>> something really simple and I can't see the tree because of the
>> forrest. Just a thought. Although the udev system is much more
>> complicated now than when I did my last LFS build, I know that I can
>> change the ATTRIBUTE(s) of a device. (I'll have to read up on it to
>> refresh my memory.) Is something like that necessary here.
>>
>> I'll appreciate any advice, thoughts or "try this."
>>
> Out of curiosity, do you have the wireless tools installed and are you
> connecting your wireless card to a network? You say that your wireless
> isn't working, yet clearly wlan0 and wlan1 are present and you havn't
> posted any examples on actually connecting to a network.
I was trying with just the things installed in the basic system. I'm not
on a network, but just want to connect to the internet, using my laptop,
through the router on my PC. I now have wireless tools installed and
have remembered that I've never configured a card or usb device--just
pcmcia cards--and I'm confusing some of the commands from the pcmcia
wrapper that I used to use.

Right now I'm caught in the "Twilight Zone" of CLFS and host system.
Can't check the things I want to in chroot environment. With <iwconfig
wlan0 essid any> I got no messages so I assume OK. However, with
<iwconfig wlan0 mode 'Ad Hoc'> I got the message that it didn't work
because the device was in use or busy. I couldn't ping my DNS server and
dhcpcd failed when I tried to restart the network. However when I ran
<iwlist wlan0 scan> I got all information I ever wanted to know about my
router. Something's working. I just can't figure out how to use it.

I'm out of my CLFS system right now, but I think I can pass ESSID and
MODE in the udev rule.

Thanks for you help so far. I can't find my book "Linux Unwired," so any
further hints would be great.
> Just food for
> thought, but you can use wpa_supplicant to manage connections to wep/wpa
> networks.

I've never used this one. Maybe a try is in order.

Thanks.

Dan