[Clfs-support] [SUPPORT] how to cross-compile to a particular laptop

Reimundo Heluani rheluani at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 19:02:23 PDT 2009

I there, I am writing from a CLFS system on my desktop working 100% as I
want it as of now. I have a laptop (a macbook air 2,1) which only runs
Ubuntu but there are a couple of things that I can't get working (like
the mic) so I wanted to diagnose them, but after trying everything with
the people upstream ALSA I figured it's probably better to just wipe the
harddrive clean and start with a fresh LFS system.

What I'd love to hear from you is advice on how to start building. I can
only think of 2 (and a half) options:

1) The problem is that this particular laptop only has a USB port and
for some reason booting the linux kernel (at least each time I installed
ubuntu on it) leaves the SMC in a bad state, so you need to constantly
reboot the machine and reset the SMC in the process. I guess I can just
take several tries with the LFS live CD or the Ubuntu one as a host and
compile on the same laptop

2) I guess I could probably connect the working Ubuntu on the laptop
with my wireless network at home (don't have a USB-ethernet adapter) and
mount a partition on my desktop, then build using my CLFS Desktop as a
host (and making the process of building a little faster)

3) I don't know if there is a way of mounting the whole harddrive of the
laptop in the desktop without having a running OS in it. It used to be
that old macs you could connect them to another mac via Firewire, but
this one only has a USB port so I have no clue how this setup could
work.

I am sorry for the ill-posed question, but any comment even the most
trivial from you will be gold to me.

Thanks in advance,

Reimundo