[Clfs-support] Tying to Move-on to CBLFS but Stopped at Networking

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 15:07:51 PDT 2009

Dan McGhee wrote:
> After a really rocky start, all's well to move on except for my
> wireless networking devices. I have two: an internal wireless card,
> which I want to be the work-horse, and a usb device. On boot, the
> kernel recognizes them, the modules are loaded and they are
> named--wlan0 and wlan1, respectively. The light indicating that the
> wireless card is powered comes on.

> However, <ls /dev | grep wlan> gives no output.
I wouldn't expect anything different.
> <udevadm info --query=all --name=/dev/wlan0> returns "device node not
> found." Same for wlan1.
Same as above, /dev entries do not exist for network interfaces.
> <ip link wlan0> fails also. I'm stumped.
This is not a valid command, not surprised that it failed.

> <dmesg> and <lsmod> tell me that everything is recognized, it seems
> that the devices are not being created. Below is info from <udevadm
> info --attribute-walk --name=/sys/class/net/wlan{0,1} and the rule for
> each from 70-persistent-net-rules.
>
> udevadm info for wlan0:
<snip>
> I need to mention that in /sys/bus/pci there is another name--phy0.
> It's the parent of wlan0. The rules got generated by <udevadm test>.
>
> Can anyone see anything that I'm missing. At this point is has to be
> something really simple and I can't see the tree because of the
> forrest. Just a thought. Although the udev system is much more
> complicated now than when I did my last LFS build, I know that I can
> change the ATTRIBUTE(s) of a device. (I'll have to read up on it to
> refresh my memory.) Is something like that necessary here.
>
> I'll appreciate any advice, thoughts or "try this."
Out of curiosity, do you have the wireless tools installed and are you
connecting your wireless card to a network? You say that your wireless
isn't working, yet clearly wlan0 and wlan1 are present and you havn't
posted any examples on actually connecting to a network. Just food for
thought, but you can use wpa_supplicant to manage connections to wep/wpa
networks.