[Clfs-support] can't connect to configuration server [GNOME]

Reimundo Heluani rheluani at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 15:11:49 PDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-07-12 at 11:54 -0700, Reimundo Heluani wrote:
> Hi list, I'm sorry if this doesn't belong here, I'm quite new to this
> list. In the last few days I went through my first build (in over 12
> years) with minor problems following SVN. I installed X and it runs
> fine, but I'm having problems with gnome. When trying to run
> gnome-session I get errors of the form
>
> [CODE]
> gnome-session[2752]: Gtk-CRITICAL: gtk_main_quit: assertion
> `main_loops != NULL' failed
> GConf warning: failure listing pairs in
> `/desktop/gnome/session/required_components': Configuration server
> couldn't be contacted: CORBA error:
> IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0GConf Error: Type mismatch: Expected
> list, got int
> gnome-session[2752]: WARNING: Unable to determine session: Unable to
> lookup session information for process '2752'
> GConf Error: Type mismatch: Expected list, got int
> gnome-session[2752]: WARNING: No required applications specified
> Failed to get value for `/desktop/gnome/applications/at/visual/exec':
> Configuration server couldn't be contacted: CORBA error:
> IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0
> [/CODE]

Well I found why gconf-sanity-check-2 was exiting with errors right at
the beginning, GConf by default wants to look
at /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.system which isn't there in my build (following
the BCLFS wiki), removed that line in /etc/gnome/gconf/2/path and now I
get the errors above and still the failed to connect to configuration
server.

R.