[Clfs-support] can't connect to configuration server [GNOME]

Reimundo Heluani rheluani at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 11:54:05 PDT 2009

Hi list, I'm sorry if this doesn't belong here, I'm quite new to this
list. In the last few days I went through my first build (in over 12
years) with minor problems following SVN. I installed X and it runs
fine, but I'm having problems with gnome. When trying to run
gnome-session I get errors of the form

[CODE]
gnome-session[2752]: Gtk-CRITICAL: gtk_main_quit: assertion
`main_loops != NULL' failed
GConf warning: failure listing pairs in
`/desktop/gnome/session/required_components': Configuration server
couldn't be contacted: CORBA error:
IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0GConf Error: Type mismatch: Expected
list, got int
gnome-session[2752]: WARNING: Unable to determine session: Unable to
lookup session information for process '2752'
GConf Error: Type mismatch: Expected list, got int
gnome-session[2752]: WARNING: No required applications specified
Failed to get value for `/desktop/gnome/applications/at/visual/exec':
Configuration server couldn't be contacted: CORBA error:
IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0
[/CODE]

and if from within X I want to start say metacity or gnome-wm I get

[CODE]
Window manager warning: Failed to contact configuration server; some
possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit,
or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See
http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Could
not send message to gconf daemon: Did not receive a reply. Possible
causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message
bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the
network connection was broken.)
[/CODE]

The weird thing is that I got metacity to run once.

I think this might be an issue with D-Bus and policy permissions, as I
originally compiled D-BUS and most of the gnome core packages without
PolicyKit and then later recompiled D-BUS after installing PolicyKit.

Any help by pointing perhaps to some documentation to read would be
greatly appreciated!. Hopefully it won't involve building all the gnome
packages again.

Now that I'm writing this e-mail I'd like to note something on the CBLFS
wiki (completely unrelated with the above I guess)

as of now Libxklavier-4.0 has changed its API so libgnomekbd-2.26.0
won't compile. Calls to xkl_config_registry_load(arg) need to be
replaced with xkl_config_registry_load(arg, FALSE).

Also in plenty of packages that link to X libraries I had to explicitly
add --x-libraries=${XORG_PREFIX}/lib64

Also Evolution Data server's configuration tool somehow managed to screw
most of the Makefiles, had to change DB_LIBS= -Lyes/lib to
DB_LIBS=-L/lib and also add the right path to the xulrunner libraries in
camel. I think that adding NM=nm to the config flags could prevent this
issue.

Thanks,

R.