[Clfs-support] cblfs: A suggestion for /usr/bin/*-config in multilib

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Jan 17 18:29:04 PST 2008

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 08:58:33PM -0500, Joe Ciccone wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
> >  So, at last the suggestions:
> >
> > 1. Would it be useful to add a general page about /usr/bin/*-config
> > to cblfs for multilib ?  It could suggest that whenever a -config
> > program is installed, it will at worst do no harm to move it to -32
> > and/or -64 as appropriate, and symlink it to multiarch_wrapper. (If
> > you only build it in one size, the symlink will prevet any configure
> > script of the other size (or other API, or whatever the correct name
> > for -m32|m64 is) from finding it.
> >
> This is already done for the most part, And if I've missed something, it
> needs to be changed.
 OK.  What I've looked at so far (three from ImageMagick) don't
actually reference the lib directories, so I sort-of regard them as
"probably ok", but I suppose they could link to different things for
people like me who don't build every lib in each size, and I guess it
does no harm to hide the -config progs when the libs can't be linked
because they don't exist.

 I guess this means I must be near to getting a round tuit!  Might
even think about tiffconf.h (different definitions in 32 and 64) - I
handle symlinking / unsymlinking that in my build scripts, it's the
only header I've found so far which is like this.  For people
building without scripts, the symlink will be a pain to maintain.

But, xft-config is probably an exception - it doesn't mention lib
directories, I assume the -32 and -64 versions have to reference the
same libraries, and it isn't the sort of thing that people will only
build in one size.

ĸen