[Clfs-support] cblfs: A suggestion for /usr/bin/*-config in multilib

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 17:58:33 PST 2008

Ken Moffat wrote:
>  So, at last the suggestions:
>
> 1. Would it be useful to add a general page about /usr/bin/*-config
> to cblfs for multilib ?  It could suggest that whenever a -config
> program is installed, it will at worst do no harm to move it to -32
> and/or -64 as appropriate, and symlink it to multiarch_wrapper. (If
> you only build it in one size, the symlink will prevet any configure
> script of the other size (or other API, or whatever the correct name
> for -m32|m64 is) from finding it.

This is already done for the most part, And if I've missed something, it
needs to be changed.
>  If it is worth adding this, what should it be called ?  '*-config'
> doesn't seem a particularly useful name.

No idea there, Explanatory text has never been my strong point.
>  Many of the -config programs (and the fc- programs) are already
> mentioned in appropriate packages in cblfs, but I've found some
> others that maybe ought to be (haven't yet confirmed that they
> all definitely mention /lib or /lib64 yet, e.g. xft-config --libs
> from libXft doesn't).  Maybe -config programs which don't explicitly
> mention /usr/lib or /usr/lib64 should be explicitly mentioned as not
> needing to be symlinked ot multiarch_wrapper ?

I prefer to just wrap everything I see, Will definitely make things
easier down the line.
>  People will always add packages to their systems that aren't in
> cblfs, and I for one wasn't really aware that -config programs might
> be contributing to difficulties in building later packages.

Neither was I till I started building multilib.
> 2. If it is worth adding a general page about this, should it mention
> that temporarily removing a symlink to multiarch_wrapper immediately
> before (re-)running make install may be helpful ?

I've only run into a problem with this when installing APR and APR-Util.
In which case I added a note on the page in CBLFS.

I like the short and sweet version :)