[Clfs-support] cblfs: A suggestion for /usr/bin/*-config in multilib

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 18:44:05 PST 2008

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 08:58:33PM -0500, Joe Ciccone wrote:
>
>> Ken Moffat wrote:
>>
>>>  So, at last the suggestions:
>>>
>>> 1. Would it be useful to add a general page about /usr/bin/*-config
>>> to cblfs for multilib ?  It could suggest that whenever a -config
>>> program is installed, it will at worst do no harm to move it to -32
>>> and/or -64 as appropriate, and symlink it to multiarch_wrapper. (If
>>> you only build it in one size, the symlink will prevet any configure
>>> script of the other size (or other API, or whatever the correct name
>>> for -m32|m64 is) from finding it.
>>>

>> This is already done for the most part, And if I've missed something, it
>> needs to be changed.
>>
>  OK.  What I've looked at so far (three from ImageMagick) don't
> actually reference the lib directories, so I sort-of regard them as
> "probably ok", but I suppose they could link to different things for
> people like me who don't build every lib in each size, and I guess it
> does no harm to hide the -config progs when the libs can't be linked
> because they don't exist.

I like to wrap everything regardless of it's content mainly because of
something we've just proved here. Your xft-config doesn't contain any
libdirs, while mine contains a few.

xft-config --libs
-L/usr/X11R7/lib64 -lXft -lX11 -L/usr/lib64 -lfreetype -lz -L/usr/lib64
-lfontconfig -L/usr/X11R7/lib64 -lXrender -lX11