[Clfs-support] Unable to set up network interfaces

Andreas Hofer Andreas.Hofer at dsa-ac.de
Thu Dec 13 06:20:27 PST 2007

Ken Moffat schrieb:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 02:05:51PM +0100, Andreas Hofer wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have one problem left with my CLFS Version SVN-20071210-x86:
>> Network interfaces are not started. Neither loopback nor eth0 work.
>>
>> /etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d/S80localnet gives following error:
>>
>> "RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument"
>>
>> After doing a "set -x" in the localnet script I see that it comes from
>> "ip link set lo up"
>>
>> Is this a bug in ip or what else could it be?
>>
>  I see this message from time to time on my clfs systems, and I think
> I've also seen it on my LFS systems.  It doen't seem to be fatal in
> itself.  I've _not_ noticed that loopback is missing once a system has
> let me log in, but it isn't something I specifically check so
> perhaps I just don't notice it.
>
>  Eth0 is a more common problem - LFS has an example of assigning
> persistent names for people who have multiple network cards.  Some
> people follow that although they only have one nic and then wonder
> why eth0 doesn't exist.  I don't think clfs has that text, so it's
> either a problem with the files in /etc/sysconfig/network-devices
> (something missing, typo, mix of dhcp and static options, or set to
> dhcp without building a client, or error in how a dhcp client is
> configured), _or_ the kernel .config is wrong (omitted networking,
> or selected wrong nic, or missed an option needed for dhcp).
>
>  Does the output from dmesg say anything about the nic ?  Are you
> using a static address or dhcp ?
>
> ĸen
Well, both interfaces are down. I tried to bring it up by hand on the
command line like so:

	ip link set lo up
	RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument
	ip  link show lo
	1: lo: <LOOPBACK> mtu 16436 qdisc noop
		link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
ifconfig shows the right IP adresses for both interfaces, but they are
down because of the "ip link set <interface> up" command having failed.
Also any other command used with "ip link set lo" fails with the same
error. BTW I use kernel version 2.6.20.1 with some patches from the
vendor of the board, but I think that at least loopback should work.

Andreas