[Clfs-support] Unable to set up network interfaces

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 13 07:05:33 PST 2007

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 03:20:27PM +0100, Andreas Hofer wrote:
> Well, both interfaces are down. I tried to bring it up by hand on the
> command line like so:
>
> 	ip link set lo up
> 	RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument
> 	ip  link show lo
> 	1: lo: <LOOPBACK> mtu 16436 qdisc noop
> 		link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
> ifconfig shows the right IP adresses for both interfaces, but they are
> down because of the "ip link set <interface> up" command having failed.
> Also any other command used with "ip link set lo" fails with the same
> error. BTW I use kernel version 2.6.20.1 with some patches from the
> vendor of the board, but I think that at least loopback should work.

 So, iproute2-2.6.23 with linux-2.6.20.1 ?  I'm always reluctant to
use either kernel headers or versions of iproute which are newer
than the kernel.  You haven't said which headers you used, ideally
they should come from the _patched_ kernel, but changing them means
rebuilding the whole system so I wouldn't do that just for the sake
of it.  Iproute is a different can of worms - I recommend you try an
older version, 2.6.20-070313 in this case.  That doesn't guarantee
to fix this, of course.

ĸen