[Clfs-support] Unable to set up network interfaces

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 13 05:50:39 PST 2007

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 02:05:51PM +0100, Andreas Hofer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have one problem left with my CLFS Version SVN-20071210-x86:
> Network interfaces are not started. Neither loopback nor eth0 work.
>
> /etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d/S80localnet gives following error:
>
> "RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument"
>
> After doing a "set -x" in the localnet script I see that it comes from
> "ip link set lo up"
>
> Is this a bug in ip or what else could it be?

 I see this message from time to time on my clfs systems, and I think
I've also seen it on my LFS systems.  It doen't seem to be fatal in
itself.  I've _not_ noticed that loopback is missing once a system has
let me log in, but it isn't something I specifically check so
perhaps I just don't notice it.

 Eth0 is a more common problem - LFS has an example of assigning
persistent names for people who have multiple network cards.  Some
people follow that although they only have one nic and then wonder
why eth0 doesn't exist.  I don't think clfs has that text, so it's
either a problem with the files in /etc/sysconfig/network-devices
(something missing, typo, mix of dhcp and static options, or set to
dhcp without building a client, or error in how a dhcp client is
configured), _or_ the kernel .config is wrong (omitted networking,
or selected wrong nic, or missed an option needed for dhcp).

 Does the output from dmesg say anything about the nic ?  Are you
using a static address or dhcp ?

ĸen