[Clfs-dev] [lfs-dev] Hello and Japanese translation info

Julien Lepiller roptat at lepiller.eu
Thu May 18 04:59:15 PDT 2017

> Also, have cc'd this to lfs-dev list, as there was discussion there
> recently ('Tue, May 16, 2017 at 5:15 PM', Julien Lepiller, Martin Qi)
> about co-ordinating some aspects of translations.

Hi Michio,

I'm the coordinator of the French translation team.

Since last year, we use this website to work on the french translation
of LFS and BLFS: https://translate.linuxfromscratch.org. The result can
be seen here: http://fr.linuxfromscratch.org/view/lfs-svn.

We find that using Pootle (the service the translation website uses)
helps a lot with reviews and working together on the project. We
currently track only the development version of LFS and BLFS. A robot
refreshes untranslated strings each night and translates some of them
automatically, which reduces the work load. This process allows us to
publish a translation of both stable books usually one day after the
release of the English one. I also periodically manually upload
development versions.

I'd love to see an international community of LFS translators, and it'd
be great if we could use the same tools. I'm especially interested in
what kind of tools you used and how we can all improve the quality and
maintainability of our translations.

Would you like to discuss this on IRC? If we need to coordinate, I'm in
Paris timezone, UTC+0200. I guess you're in UTC+0900? I'm supposed to
talk with Martin (who's working on the Chinese translation) this
week-end, so I'd be happy if you could join our conversation too. In any
case, you can ping me (roptat) anytime.

Kind regards,
Julien Lepiller