[Clfs-dev] Current CLFS 3.0.0 State

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Sun Aug 31 07:08:45 PDT 2014

On Aug 31, 2014, at 8:51 AM, William Harrington wrote:

>> I found a very small thing this morning building a 32-bit user-
>> space with a 64-bit capable CPU.
>>
>> The note in "5.7.1. Installation of GMP" is not repeated in
>> 10.10.1. Installation of GMP, but I believe it should be.

I viewed the logs of the Pentium 3 build with the 64bit vmware host
and I believe the note should be removed.

Cross-tools GMP selects the proper ABI and tunes for the host and
tools GMP selects the proper host type and ABI:

   Version:           GNU MP 6.0.0
   Host type:         coreisbr-pc-linux-gnu
   ABI:               32
   Install prefix:    /cross-tools
   Compiler:          gcc -std=gnu99
   Static libraries:  no
   Shared libraries:  yes

   Version:           GNU MP 6.0.0
   Host type:         i686-pc-linux-gnu
   ABI:               32
   Install prefix:    /tools
   Compiler:          i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -std=gnu99
   Static libraries:  yes
   Shared libraries:  yes

Final system GMP should always select the proper host type and ABI:

   Version:           GNU MP 6.0.0
   Host type:         pentium3-unknown-linux-gnu
   ABI:               32
   Install prefix:    /usr
   Compiler:          gcc -isystem /usr/include -std=gnu99
   Static libraries:  yes
   Shared libraries:  yes

By the way, with that build I did not build with the p3, I used the
vmware host the whole time. Although, for optimizations for GMP so
it'd select the proper host I used --host=pentium3-unknown-linux-gnu.
That is not normally needed when building with the target system in
ch10.