[Clfs-dev] Automake and Texinfo

Michael D Labriola mlabriol at gdeb.com
Fri Sep 27 05:54:39 PDT 2013

clfs-dev-bounces at lists.cross-lfs.org wrote on 09/24/2013 04:45:24 PM:

> From: William Harrington <kb0iic at berzerkula.org>
> To: CLFS development discussion <clfs-dev at lists.cross-lfs.org>,
> Date: 09/24/2013 04:45 PM
> Subject: [Clfs-dev] Automake and Texinfo
> Sent by: clfs-dev-bounces at lists.cross-lfs.org
>
> Greetings,
>
> We are almost at release and we've been delaying automake and texinfo.
>
> Is it best to wait till future release before updating these. At this
> point in time, if upgrading those requires extra patches or additional
> commands, and the current versions work fine for future versions of
> other packages, we may want to delay the update.
>
> input is greatly appreciated.
>
> We are at Automake 1.12.4 and current is 1.14 (issues arose when
> automake was at 1.13)
>
> We are at Texinfo 4.13 and current is 5.1 (some issues arose with the
> 5.x release)
>
> If anyone desires, they can give a list of packages which have issues
> when using hosts and when using temp tools and building for the final
> system when using Texinfo 5.1 and Automake 1.14. That would give a
> better view of what the current situation is with those two packages
> and our current build system.

Well, I know I ran into problems building autoconf w/ Texinfo 5.1.  I
don't recall the exact error, but it was failing with texinfo related
errors while building docs.  It should be noted, however, that I was
building autoconf v2.69 from git.  Installing a copy of Texinfo 4.13a on
my host system fixed the problem.

Also, I've been able to build up through the end of Chapter 6 using
Automake v1.13.4, bootstrapping sources from git along the way w/out any
serious problems.  A couple minor tweaks were needed to bootstrap the
following packages from their respective git trees:

  - pkg-config: (not pkg-config-lite) included glib code was still using
AM_PROG_CC_STDC

  - cloog:  TESTS were using $srcdir, new automake was complaining that it
was broken.  Removing the variable seems to work, but I'm not sure that
was the correct thing to do.

Hope this email gets to the list, I haven't posted in eons... and my work
email is pretty sketchy.  I can post pkg-config and/or cloog patches from
home if anyone really wants them.  You probably don't, since the book uses
dist tarballs and still uses pkg-config-lite.

---
Michael D Labriola
Electric Boat
mlabriol at gdeb.com