[Clfs-dev] Automake and Texinfo

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Fri Sep 27 08:15:34 PDT 2013

On Sep 27, 2013, at 7:54 AM, Michael D Labriola wrote:

>> If anyone desires, they can give a list of packages which have issues
>> when using hosts and when using temp tools and building for the final
>> system when using Texinfo 5.1 and Automake 1.14. That would give a
>> better view of what the current situation is with those two packages
>> and our current build system.
>
> Well, I know I ran into problems building autoconf w/ Texinfo 5.1.  I
> don't recall the exact error, but it was failing with texinfo related
> errors while building docs.  It should be noted, however, that I was
> building autoconf v2.69 from git.  Installing a copy of Texinfo
> 4.13a on
> my host system fixed the problem.
>
> Also, I've been able to build up through the end of Chapter 6 using
> Automake v1.13.4, bootstrapping sources from git along the way w/out
> any
> serious problems.  A couple minor tweaks were needed to bootstrap the
> following packages from their respective git trees:
>
>  - pkg-config: (not pkg-config-lite) included glib code was still
> using
> AM_PROG_CC_STDC
>
>  - cloog:  TESTS were using $srcdir, new automake was complaining
> that it
> was broken.  Removing the variable seems to work, but I'm not sure
> that
> was the correct thing to do.
>
> Hope this email gets to the list, I haven't posted in eons... and my
> work
> email is pretty sketchy.  I can post pkg-config and/or cloog patches
> from
> home if anyone really wants them.  You probably don't, since the
> book uses
> dist tarballs and still uses pkg-config-lite.

Greetings Michael,

Thanks for the input. I think for now it is a good idea to stick with
what we have.
Perhaps when we are ready to update automake and texinfo, that newer
releases will fix some of those problems.
Right now we have patch for binutils for hosts that are using Texinfo
5.x.  It should be fixed in binutils 2.23.3 or later.