[Clfs-dev] Udated Packages and a package freeze in a week or so

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Sep 22 18:22:13 PDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 03:23:13PM -0500, William Harrington wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Okay we have these on the chopping block:

[...]
> tzdata 2013e

 On LFS I see from the ticket that the build instructions for tzdata
have changed (need to run awk to create a file).  I bet you've
already seen that.

> Does anyone have any in put on the above for any outstanding issues
> that may need to be looked at when updating the current GIT book
> with the packages?

[...]
> Also, there is a problem with Bison 3.0 and the 24th test suite with
> constructs. It's already been addressed at bison-bugs:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bison/2013-09/msg00008.html
>
> I've had it hit me while testing our current git ppc64 pure64 build.
> I haven't had it occur with x86 or x86_64 pure64
>
> Sincerely,
>
> William Harrington

 As I've just noted in re-introducing myself to the list, my builds
are much closer to LFS than cross-lfs.  I wasn't planning to comment
on the issues in my own build until I had any results, but since you
are now asking...  I see you've already noted that bison problem,
for the moment it might just be a testsuite issue (haven't looked at
the code, but perhaps the old 'signed char' has caught someone out
again).

 But I've also got a problem with kbd-2.0.0 on ppc32 userspace (the
box is a G5, but it's so slow that I make userspace 32-bit and
cross-compile the kernel).  There were a couple of failures in the
testsuite [ for all I know, might be related to my newer glibc, or
anything ], but for me there is a showstopper with loadkeys : it
doesn't do anything (and returns a status of 0).

 Mac ppc keyboards were always odd in how they were laid out (or
downright weird on laptops), but I'm British and I use a regular
101-key 'uk' keyboard through a KVM switch.  Actually, the 101st key
never works on the G5, seems to be a kernel issue, but AltGr (Right
Alt key) gets me round the missing \ and |.

 But now, trying to load either my own extended map or the regular
'uk' map, I'm stuck with a US map.  In practice I've reverted to
1.15.5 with the seds we used to use in LFS, and everything is
working again.  I've only just raised the problem on the kbd list.

 Not sure if this problem also applies to cross-lfs, or indeed what
sort of keyboard you use on your G5, but the uk and us layouts are
pretty close - if you wished, you could perhaps see if there is a
problem by trying 'loadkeys uk', hit the shifted 2 (" instead of @)
and the shifted 3 (GB pound '£' instead of #) and then use
'loadkeys us' or whatever to restore your normal keymap.  People
using other keymaps (particularly qwertz or azerty) might have more
difficulty with the US layout.

 Alternatively, perhaps all external apple ppc keyboards are
sufficiently close to the regular US map that it doesn't matter - my
real apple uk keyboard isn't handy so I can't check what the
differences were.

ĸen