[Clfs-dev] Udated Packages and a package freeze in a week or so

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Mon Sep 23 09:49:02 PDT 2013

On Sep 22, 2013, at 8:22 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 03:23:13PM -0500, William Harrington wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Okay we have these on the chopping block:
>>
> [...]
>>
>> tzdata 2013e
>
> On LFS I see from the ticket that the build instructions for tzdata
> have changed (need to run awk to create a file).  I bet you've
> already seen that.

That may get upstream changes quickly. Holding off on this for now.

>> Also, there is a problem with Bison 3.0 and the 24th test suite with
>> constructs. It's already been addressed at bison-bugs:
>>
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bison/2013-09/msg00008.html
>>
>> I've had it hit me while testing our current git ppc64 pure64 build.
>> I haven't had it occur with x86 or x86_64 pure64
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> William Harrington
>
> As I've just noted in re-introducing myself to the list, my builds
> are much closer to LFS than cross-lfs.  I wasn't planning to comment
> on the issues in my own build until I had any results, but since you
> are now asking...  I see you've already noted that bison problem,
> for the moment it might just be a testsuite issue (haven't looked at
> the code, but perhaps the old 'signed char' has caught someone out
> again).

Going to keep an eye on that thread and see what happens.

> anything ], but for me there is a showstopper with loadkeys : it
> doesn't do anything (and returns a status of 0).

I haven't looked into this as I don't load any keymaps out of the
default one.

> Mac ppc keyboards were always odd in how they were laid out (or
> downright weird on laptops), but I'm British and I use a regular
> 101-key 'uk' keyboard through a KVM switch.  Actually, the 101st key
> never works on the G5, seems to be a kernel issue, but AltGr (Right
> Alt key) gets me round the missing \ and |.
>
> But now, trying to load either my own extended map or the regular
> 'uk' map, I'm stuck with a US map.  In practice I've reverted to
> 1.15.5 with the seds we used to use in LFS, and everything is
> working again.  I've only just raised the problem on the kbd list.
>
> Not sure if this problem also applies to cross-lfs, or indeed what
> sort of keyboard you use on your G5, but the uk and us layouts are
> pretty close - if you wished, you could perhaps see if there is a
> problem by trying 'loadkeys uk', hit the shifted 2 (" instead of @)
> and the shifted 3 (GB pound '£' instead of #) and then use
> 'loadkeys us' or whatever to restore your normal keymap.  People
> using other keymaps (particularly qwertz or azerty) might have more
> difficulty with the US layout.

I use the A1048 US layout keyboard where the keypad is on the right
and has 16 function keys.

> Alternatively, perhaps all external apple ppc keyboards are
> sufficiently close to the regular US map that it doesn't matter - my
> real apple uk keyboard isn't handy so I can't check what the
> differences were.
>
> ĸen
> --

Thanks for your input.

For now I'm running through a build with updated TCL, EUDEV, M4, Man-
Pages, and DHCPCD.

x86 to x86_64-64 in a vm.