[Clfs-dev] Boot Method is Broken

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Fri Jan 25 19:16:32 PST 2013

Chris J. Breisch wrote:
> However, that alone is insufficient to get the configuration of
> e2fsprogs to succeed. It gets past the test of -luuid, but -lblkid still
> fails.
>
> From gcc -v, -Wl,--verbose:
>
> /home/clfs/multilib/cross-tools/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.6.3/../../../../x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
> warning: libuuid.so.1, needed by
> /home/clfs/multilib/tools/lib/../lib64/libblkid.so, not found (try using
> -rpath or -rpath-link)
> /home/clfs/multilib/tools/lib/../lib64/libblkid.so: undefined reference
> to `uuid_unparse at UUID_1.0'
>
> Adding -luuid to the command line fixes that problem.

I think pkg-config (or possibly libtool, but pkg-config is generally
better in a multilib setup, because you can use the multilib wrapper
around two separate installations of it, with different default
PKG_CONFIG_PATHs) should pick this up.  Of course, if pkg-config isn't
present in clfs, that'll be hard (I haven't looked at clfs in a long
time)...  :-)

At least, in a really-old util-linux installation (from right after they
pulled in libblkid and libuuid), I have a uuid.pc and blkid.pc file in
/usr/lib{,64}/pkgconfig, and the blkid.pc files have this in them:

Requires.private: uuid

which should pull in the linker flags from uuid.pc.

(It does also require that e2fsprogs' configure script use pkg-config; I
don't know if it does or not but I'd expect it should.)