[Clfs-dev] Boot Method is Broken

Chris J. Breisch chris at breisch.org
Fri Jan 25 15:50:16 PST 2013

On 1/24/2013 5:24 PM, William Harrington wrote:

> I'm guessing the issue with the boot method is with multilib books. We
> have missed a step in our commands either in creating directories or
> creating essential symlinks.
> libuuid and libblkid isn't being found where it should be for one
> reason or another.

I'm almost certain the problem lies in util-linux, although I'm going to
have to start over again to retest. I think that I have messed something
up somehow.

When I first looked, I didn't think I saw libuuid installed anywhere.
However, after re-running make install in util-linux, it was installed,
so maybe I was mistaken. Knew I should have sent that find output to a
log file. Anyway, I'm suspicious of all my later results, because I'm
unsure of the results of the first make install in util-linux. Have to
wipe and restart to verify.

e2fsprogs' configure still couldn't find it, though. Using gcc -v,
-Wl,--verbose I determined that it was looking for libuuid.so in
/tools/lib64

Looks like we need to create some symlinks at the end of 7.4 util-linux.
Something along the lines of:

pushd /tools/lib64
ln -svf libblkid.so.1 libblkid.so
ln -svf libuuid.so.1 libuuid.so
popd

(Or whatever particular command sequence you prefer to get the links there)

However, that alone is insufficient to get the configuration of
e2fsprogs to succeed. It gets past the test of -luuid, but -lblkid still
fails.

 From gcc -v, -Wl,--verbose:

/home/clfs/multilib/cross-tools/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.6.3/../../../../x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
warning: libuuid.so.1, needed by
/home/clfs/multilib/tools/lib/../lib64/libblkid.so, not found (try using
-rpath or -rpath-link)
/home/clfs/multilib/tools/lib/../lib64/libblkid.so: undefined reference
to `uuid_unparse at UUID_1.0'

Adding -luuid to the command line fixes that problem.

So, with what I have specified above, when using -lblkid, -luuid is also
required. However, configure only supplies -lblkid and expects that to
be sufficient. Frankly, I agree with configure. :) We could supply
configure with LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/tools/lib64" as we do make. In my
current setup, that allows configure to complete successfully. Make and
make install do as well.

However, as I said, before I can verify that any of these solutions
actually work, I need to restart from scratch.

My host machine isn't very speedy. It'll be several hours before I can
retest this again. I'll see about sending out an e-mail late tonight,
but it will likely be tomorrow morning.  I have family commitments all
day tomorrow, so I won't be able to spend any time on this other than a
quick status check first thing in the morning.

--

Chris J. Breisch<http://www.sports-gazer.com>