[Clfs-dev] Cross-Compiled Linux From Scratch - Version GIT-20130815-x86_64-Pure64 Notes

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Mon Aug 19 11:58:56 PDT 2013

> Hi
>
> Another run through mostly looking good.
>
> 1. Hard coded M4 in Bison and Flex
> M4=m4 prepended to the configure commands in 6.13 and 6.19, certainly
> solves the problem, do we want to do this in Installing Basic software
> 10.27 and 10.29 as well ?

When exactly is this a problem? I haven't ran into it, yet.
I'm using the boot method right now for a ppc64-64 build.

> 2. 10.37 Bzip2
> usually add an -fPIC to the Makefile for the non-shared install as I
> have problems with stuff linking to it in other packages

static libs shouldn't get -fPIC. Just the shared libs.
Is there something different in your build? I've never ran across an issue
where something was attempting to build with the bzip2 shared libs and
attempt to link against the static lib instead.

> 3. 10.5 kernel headers
> Linux headers is missing a make mrproper ?

I notice that. I'll fix it in a bit.

> 4. 10.50 xz-utils
>
> Should this have a libdir=/lib added to the configure line, other wise
> no point in the setting of pkgconfigdir=/usr/lib/pkgconfig in the
> install command

During install, the pkgconfig file ends up being put in /lib/pkgconfig/.
We override the installation directory. It's that or edit the Makefile.