[Clfs-dev] Cross-Compiled Linux From Scratch - Version GIT-20130815-x86_64-Pure64 Notes

Martin Ward macros_the_black at ntlworld.com
Mon Aug 19 12:17:13 PDT 2013

On 19/08/13 19:58, William Harrington wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Another run through mostly looking good.
>>
>> 1. Hard coded M4 in Bison and Flex
>> M4=m4 prepended to the configure commands in 6.13 and 6.19, certainly
>> solves the problem, do we want to do this in Installing Basic software
>> 10.27 and 10.29 as well ?
> When exactly is this a problem? I haven't ran into it, yet.
> I'm using the boot method right now for a ppc64-64 build.

What do you, mean by this?,
I was running the bison 3.0 make command and it was trying to build
something for the test suite (which we don't run in cross-tools), and
because I renamed the /cross-tools dir, it complained it couldn't find
m4, furthering my investigation into hard coded paths, prepending M4=m4
in the cross-tools phase fixed it

>> 2. 10.37 Bzip2
>> usually add an -fPIC to the Makefile for the non-shared install as I
>> have problems with stuff linking to it in other packages
>>
> static libs shouldn't get -fPIC. Just the shared libs.
> Is there something different in your build? I've never ran across an issue
> where something was attempting to build with the bzip2 shared libs and
> attempt to link against the static lib instead.
This was a while ago, when i was playing around with lto, but I did
notice that something in a KDE build needed it, but might not now, no
worries

>> 3. 10.5 kernel headers
>> Linux headers is missing a make mrproper ?
> I notice that. I'll fix it in a bit.
>

>> 4. 10.50 xz-utils
>>
>> Should this have a libdir=/lib added to the configure line, other wise
>> no point in the setting of pkgconfigdir=/usr/lib/pkgconfig in the
>> install command
>>
> During install, the pkgconfig file ends up being put in /lib/pkgconfig/.
> We override the installation directory. It's that or edit the Makefile.
Yes but in the book we have ./configure --prefix=/usr,
we need ./configure --prefix=/usr  --libdir=/lib