[Clfs-dev] iana-etc

Grail Dane grail69 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 12 23:19:40 PST 2011

Hi All
Wasn't sure if this was a dev thing or not, but I see we have recently started to host our own copy of iana-etc as the original site seemsto not be responding.  After searching for a bit I found a thread on LFS talking about it and the fact that not only couldthe source not been downloaded but once it is that the files being used, ie services and protocols, are out of date (circa 2008).
The hot debate about how to update them never really seemed to get resolved except to say to get them from iana directly.
What I thought I would add here is that with one simple change and an addition to make this can be done:
1. The following sed update the now out of date link to where the protocol files are stored:
sed -i '/file=/s at pro[^ *]@&/&.txt@' Makefile
2. There is already a built in get call that can retrieve the latest copies, so simply do the following:
make get && make
And viola, if you ran this today the files would be as up to date as:
services    2011-01-11protocols   2010-11-23
Just thought you might all like to know :)
Cheers Grail