[Clfs-dev] iana-etc

Andrew Bradford bradfa at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 08:13:57 PST 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 2:19 AM, Grail Dane <grail69 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi All
>
> Wasn't sure if this was a dev thing or not, but I see we have recently
> started to host our own copy of iana-etc as the original site seems
> to not be responding.  After searching for a bit I found a thread on LFS
> talking about it and the fact that not only could
> the source not been downloaded but once it is that the files being used, ie
> services and protocols, are out of date (circa 2008).
>
> The hot debate about how to update them never really seemed to get resolved
> except to say to get them from iana directly.
>
> What I thought I would add here is that with one simple change and an
> addition to make this can be done:
>
> 1. The following sed update the now out of date link to where the protocol
> files are stored:
>
> sed -i '/file=/s at pro[^ *]@&/&.txt@' Makefile
>
> 2. There is already a built in get call that can retrieve the latest
> copies, so simply do the following:
>
> make get && make
>
> And viola, if you ran this today the files would be as up to date as:
>
> services    2011-01-11
> protocols   2010-11-23
>
> Just thought you might all like to know :)
>
> Cheers
> Grail

Grail,

Thanks for pointing this out!  I didn't know the package had a built in
updater script, that's neat.

I did find that your sed line doesn't work well for me on amd64 Debian 5, it
ends up garbling the protocol-numbers.iana line in Makefile to look like
this:

protocol-numbers.iana:
        $(AWK) -f get.gawk -v file=prot/prot.txtocol-numbers
>protocol-numbers.i
ana

Which isn't the desired output.  A less complex sed line that works for me,
achieves your desired intent, and is a little easier for the regex impaired
(myself included :) would be:

sed -i '/file=/s at protocol-numbers@&/&.txt@' Makefile

I'll craft a patch and submit it to the list.

Regards,
Andrew