[Clfs-dev] Seeking help to boot PowerPC64-Multilib

John Frankish frankish at dubai.oilfield.slb.com
Sat Nov 15 22:43:34 PST 2008

At 19:23 15-11-08, you wrote:
>On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 01:19:40PM +0400, John Frankish wrote: > At
>02:01 15-11-08, you wrote: > >On a mac, yaboot.conf is copied to the
>apple_bootstrap partition by > >ybin, and is read during the boot
>(bottom of Appendix E in the ppc64 > >book).  You quite clearly
>don't have this sort of partitioning. > >Google found that booting
>on ps3 apparently used to need kboot, not > >yaboot.  Unclear if
>that was just for the initial boot.  I wonder if > >ydl's version of
>yaboot has been patched for the ps3 (check the > >source rpms). ?
>'man yaboot.conf' on your ydl system is probably the > >best I can
>suggest.  Perhaps it specifically mentions the ps3 > >?  Maybe try
>'ofpath /dev/ps3da2' Even though your mailer is doing funny things
>to the formatting, at least in replies, please read that paragraph,
>and try my suggestions. (edit: at least try the ofpath command). > >
>I could see that I could do this prior to compiling/installing the >
>kernel, which would install the clfs kernel alongside the ydl
>kernel > in /boot - but I'm kind of lost as to how to set things up
>on reboot > so that the clfs kernel loads (effectively from
>/dev/ps3da1) and > /clfs/sbin/pre-init gets called from /dev/ps3da2
>?? > > John > From past experience, I know that trying to find ydl
>source rpms is about as easy as finding hens' teeth, but a search of
>their website presented me with
>http://us.fixstars.com/products/ydl/apps.shtml which suggests that
>yaboot is NOT the correct boot tool. Google, on the web rather than
>the ydl site, was a little more helpful.  If you are on ydl 6, try
>ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/releases/yellowdog-6.0/SRPMS/
>I said earlier that I didn't understand the 'mountpoint' line. Maybe
>I've forgotten something, because ydl's yaboot has a (rh, or fedora)
>patch to "Allow mntpoint to be more than one directory into the
>partition as long as magicboot and nvram are not being used"
>(compare the warning in the book's yaboot.conf: # For all images,
>the pathname is relative to the filesystem # on which they are
>situated and can include at most one # directory - of course, we do
>specify magicboot, and use nvram on a mac). BUT, I still don't think
>you use yaboot to boot from ps3, or else you don't use it in the way
>I expect.  On a mac, and probably on pSeries and pegasos, we do it
>like this: 1. add new kernel to yaboot.conf 1A. if it is on a
>different partition, use ofpath to get the Open Firmware path to it
>(image=/ht at 0,f2000000/pci at 3/k2-sata-root at c/k2-sata at 0/disk at 0:9,/boot/clfskernel-2.6.26.5)
>for one of mine, on /dev/sda9 2. run ybin to write some OF (Forth)
>code plus the contents of yaboot.conf to the bootstrap partition and
>update the nvram. If you *are* using yaboot, please explain how you
>use it.  Please do NOT try using steps '1' and '2' above, unless you
>already use them.
----------------------------
I'm using ydl-6 on the ps3 which definitely uses yaboot (maybe the
confusion comes from earlier versions of ydl which may have used
something else on the ps3). If I compile a new kernel in ydl-6, ybin
seems to be automatically invoked and yaboot.conf is automatically
updated. I can also modify yaboot.conf in ydl-6 and have the changes
(eg change the default kernel) take effect for the next boot with or
without invoking ybin...

I checked the yaboot/yaboot.conf man pages in ydl-6 - not much to see
except that "init=" does not exist as a parameter to pass
/clfs/sbin/pre-init, maybe it could be passed as "append="? The other
thing to note (as you mention above) is that it looks like I need the
full openfiremware path to the clfs image on the partition. I did not
know about "ofpath" so I guess this is the next thing to try.

Thanks for the help with this.

John