[Clfs-dev] Seeking help to boot PowerPC64-Multilib

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 15 07:23:30 PST 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 01:19:40PM +0400, John Frankish wrote:
> At 02:01 15-11-08, you wrote:
> >On a mac, yaboot.conf is copied to the apple_bootstrap partition by
> >ybin, and is read during the boot (bottom of Appendix E in the ppc64
> >book).  You quite clearly don't have this sort of partitioning.
> >Google found that booting on ps3 apparently used to need kboot, not
> >yaboot.  Unclear if that was just for the initial boot.  I wonder if
> >ydl's version of yaboot has been patched for the ps3 (check the
> >source rpms). ? 'man yaboot.conf' on your ydl system is probably the
> >best I can suggest.  Perhaps it specifically mentions the ps3
> >?  Maybe try 'ofpath /dev/ps3da2'

 Even though your mailer is doing funny things to the formatting, at
least in replies, please read that paragraph, and try my suggestions.
(edit: at least try the ofpath command).

> I could see that I could do this prior to compiling/installing the
> kernel, which would install the clfs kernel alongside the ydl kernel
> in /boot - but I'm kind of lost as to how to set things up on reboot
> so that the clfs kernel loads (effectively from /dev/ps3da1) and
> /clfs/sbin/pre-init gets called from /dev/ps3da2 ??
>
> John

 From past experience, I know that trying to find ydl source rpms is
about as easy as finding hens' teeth, but a search of their website
presented me with http://us.fixstars.com/products/ydl/apps.shtml
which suggests that yaboot is NOT the correct boot tool.

 Google, on the web rather than the ydl site, was a little more
helpful.  If you are on ydl 6, try
ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/releases/yellowdog-6.0/SRPMS/

 I said earlier that I didn't understand the 'mountpoint' line.
Maybe I've forgotten something, because ydl's yaboot has a (rh, or
fedora) patch to "Allow mntpoint to be more than one directory into
the partition as long as magicboot and nvram are not being used"
(compare the warning in the book's yaboot.conf:
# For all images, the pathname is relative to the filesystem
# on which they are situated and can include at most one
# directory
 - of course, we do specify magicboot, and use nvram on a mac).

 BUT, I still don't think you use yaboot to boot from ps3, or else
you don't use it in the way I expect.  On a mac, and probably on
pSeries and pegasos, we do it like this:

1. add new kernel to yaboot.conf
1A. if it is on a different partition, use ofpath to get the Open
Firmware path to it
(image=/ht at 0,f2000000/pci at 3/k2-sata-root at c/k2-sata at 0/disk at 0:9,/boot/clfskernel-2.6.26.5)
for one of mine, on /dev/sda9

2. run ybin to write some OF (Forth) code plus the contents of
yaboot.conf to the bootstrap partition and update the nvram.

 If you *are* using yaboot, please explain how you use it.  Please
do NOT try using steps '1' and '2' above, unless you already use
them.

ĸen