[Clfs-dev] Seeking help to boot PowerPC64-Multilib

John Frankish frankish at dubai.oilfield.slb.com
Tue Nov 18 20:48:52 PST 2008

At 10:43 16-11-08, you wrote:
>At 19:23 15-11-08, you wrote:
>>On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 01:19:40PM +0400, John Frankish wrote: > At
>>02:01 15-11-08, you wrote: > >On a mac, yaboot.conf is copied to
>>the apple_bootstrap partition by > >ybin, and is read during the
>>boot (bottom of Appendix E in the ppc64 > >book).  You quite
>>clearly don't have this sort of partitioning. > >Google found that
>>booting on ps3 apparently used to need kboot,
>>not > >yaboot.  Unclear if that was just for the initial boot.  I
>>wonder if > >ydl's version of yaboot has been patched for the ps3
>>(check the > >source rpms). ? 'man yaboot.conf' on your ydl system
>>is probably the > >best I can suggest.  Perhaps it specifically
>>mentions the ps3 > >?  Maybe try 'ofpath /dev/ps3da2' Even though
>>your mailer is doing funny things to the formatting, at least in
>>replies, please read that paragraph, and try my suggestions. (edit:
>>at least try the ofpath command). > > I could see that I could do
>>this prior to compiling/installing the > kernel, which would
>>install the clfs kernel alongside the ydl kernel > in /boot - but
>>I'm kind of lost as to how to set things up on reboot > so that the
>>clfs kernel loads (effectively from /dev/ps3da1) and >
>>/clfs/sbin/pre-init gets called from /dev/ps3da2 ?? > > John > From
>>past experience, I know that trying to find ydl source rpms is
>>about as easy as finding hens' teeth, but a search of their website
>>presented me with http://us.fixstars.com/products/ydl/apps.shtml
>>which suggests that yaboot is NOT the correct boot tool. Google, on
>>the web rather than the ydl site, was a little more helpful.  If
>>you are on ydl 6, try
>>ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/releases/yellowdog-6.0/SRPMS/
>>I said earlier that I didn't understand the 'mountpoint' line.
>>Maybe I've forgotten something, because ydl's yaboot has a (rh, or
>>fedora) patch to "Allow mntpoint to be more than one directory into
>>the partition as long as magicboot and nvram are not being used"
>>(compare the warning in the book's yaboot.conf: # For all images,
>>the pathname is relative to the filesystem # on which they are
>>situated and can include at most one # directory - of course, we do
>>specify magicboot, and use nvram on a mac). BUT, I still don't
>>think you use yaboot to boot from ps3, or else you don't use it in
>>the way I expect.  On a mac, and probably on pSeries and pegasos,
>>we do it like this: 1. add new kernel to yaboot.conf 1A. if it is
>>on a different partition, use ofpath to get the Open Firmware path
>>to it
>>(image=/ht at 0,f2000000/pci at 3/k2-sata-root at c/k2-sata at 0/disk at 0:9,/boot/clfskernel-2.6.26.5)
>>for one of mine, on /dev/sda9 2. run ybin to write some OF (Forth)
>>code plus the contents of yaboot.conf to the bootstrap partition
>>and update the nvram. If you *are* using yaboot, please explain how
>>you use it.  Please do NOT try using steps '1' and '2' above,
>>unless you already use them.
> [...]
-----
I finally got it to boot with this added to yaboot.conf on the ps3 host:

image=/vmlinux
label=clfs
root=/dev/ps3da2
append="init=/clfs/sbin/pre-init video=ps3fb:mode:13 rhgb quiet"
read-only

Note that I mounted the ydl-6 host's boot partition as /boot (i.e.
mount /dev/ps3da1 /boot) and "make install"-ed the kernel as opposed
to copying it to /boot - hence /vmlinux

Thanks for the suggestions

John