[Clfs-dev] Seeking help to boot PowerPC64-Multilib

John Frankish frankish at dubai.oilfield.slb.com
Fri Nov 14 06:53:00 PST 2008

At 12:05 12-11-08, you wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 09:32:33AM +0400, John Frankish wrote: >
>Hi, > > I'm compiling > > Version SVN-20081109-PowerPC64-Multilib on
>a ps3 and everything is > going fine so far - I've been compiling
>alongside ydl-6, using the > method outlined here > >
><http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/lfs_next_to_existing_systems.txt>http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/lfs_next_to_existing_systems.txt
> > i.e. I've created a folder /clfs and start like this: > > # mount
>--bind /clfs /mnt/clfs > # export CLFS=/mnt/clfs > > and then enter
>the chroot environment. > > I believe at the end of Chapter 10 I can
>install /sbin/pre-init from > lfs_next_helpers.tar.bz2 to be able to
>boot from /clfs. What I cannot > figure out is which elements of
>yaboot (if any) I need to install to > /clfs in Chapter 10 and how
>in Chapter 12 I need to modify my > existing (ydl-6) yaboot.conf to
>be able to have the option of booting > from either ydl-6 or the > >
>PowerPC64-Multilib in /clfs > > I'd be grateful for any
>pointers. > > John I'm not familiar with the hint, and it's old
>enough for a lot of things to have changed.  Yaboot operates
>somewhat like lilo, so if you want to (later) update it from within
>the clfs system you should compile and install it "as normal".  The
>idea of "stages" is specific to grub. If I understand it correctly,
>you can come out of chroot after installing the kernel,  Then add
>the clfs system to yaboot.conf in the ydl host, perhaps something
>like
>image=/clfs/boot/clfskernel-2.6.26.whichever      read-only
>init=/clfs/sbin/pre-init and of course run ybin after this. It is
>important to do this on the host system, and to keep the host kernel
>details in yaboot.conf, so that you can go back to ydl if the new
>system is not found, or doesn't work, or just to use its apps. I'm
>not sure if the same yaboot.conf would work if you wanted to run
>ybin inside the clfs system.  I guess it will (from memory, the
>paths to the specified kernels are written to the bootstrap, and
>then evaluated at boot-time), but a rescue CD (for the ydl host) is
>always a good idea.
-------------------------------
Thanks for the suggestions - In the default ydl-6 configuration, it
appears that there are 3 partitions - the boot partition, the main
partition and the swap partition:

# fdisk -l
/dev/ps3da1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
/dev/ps3da2              14        5664    45391657+  83  Linux
/dev/ps3da3            5665        5729      522112+  82  Linux swap / Solaris

I created /clfs on the main partition - /dev/ps3da2. Maybe /boot on
the main partition is somehow linked to /dev/ps3da1 (it's not a
symlink, but maybe a hard link)? I tried to modify yaboot.conf to
boot from /clfs/boot, but it looks like it only looks on /dev/ps3da1
(partition=1). The yaboot.conf on the host ydl-6 system looks like this:

# yaboot.conf generated by anaconda
boot=/dev/ps3da
init-message=Welcome to YDL!\nHit <TAB> for boot options
partition=1
timeout=80
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
delay=5
enablecdboot
enableofboot
enablenetboot
nonvram
mntpoint=/boot/yaboot
usemount
default=linux

image=/vmlinux-2.6.23-9.ydl6.1
         label=linux
         read-only
         initrd=/initrd-2.6.23-9.ydl6.1.img
         append="video=ps3fb:mode:13 rhgb quiet root=LABEL=/"

image=/clfs/boot/clfskernel-2.6.27.4
         label=clfs
         read-only
         init=/clfs/sbin/pre-init
         append="video=ps3fb:mode:13 rhgb quiet root=LABEL=/"

Is there any way to modify yaboot.conf to look on /dev/ps3da2 (whilst
still maintaining the ydl boot capability) or do I somehow have to
link /clfs/boot to /dev/ps3da1 - in case it helps, /etc/fstab is posted below

Thanks
John
---
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
spufs                   /spu                    spufs   defaults        0 0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
LABEL=SWAP-ps3da3       swap                    swap    defaults        0 0