[Clfs-dev] Seeking help to boot PowerPC64-Multilib

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 12 00:05:58 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 09:32:33AM +0400, John Frankish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm compiling
>
> Version SVN-20081109-PowerPC64-Multilib on a ps3 and everything is
> going fine so far - I've been compiling alongside ydl-6, using the
> method outlined here
>
> <http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/lfs_next_to_existing_systems.txt>http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/lfs_next_to_existing_systems.txt
> i.e. I've created a folder /clfs and start like this:
>
> # mount --bind /clfs /mnt/clfs
> # export CLFS=/mnt/clfs
>
> and then enter the chroot environment.
>
> I believe at the end of Chapter 10 I can install /sbin/pre-init from
> lfs_next_helpers.tar.bz2 to be able to boot from /clfs. What I cannot
> figure out is which elements of yaboot (if any) I need to install to
> /clfs in Chapter 10 and how in Chapter 12 I need to modify my
> existing (ydl-6) yaboot.conf to be able to have the option of booting
> from either ydl-6 or the
>
> PowerPC64-Multilib in /clfs
>
> I'd be grateful for any pointers.
>
> John

 I'm not familiar with the hint, and it's old enough for a lot of
things to have changed.  Yaboot operates somewhat like lilo, so if
you want to (later) update it from within the clfs system you should
compile and install it "as normal".  The idea of "stages" is
specific to grub.

 If I understand it correctly, you can come out of chroot after
installing the kernel,  Then add the clfs system to yaboot.conf in
the ydl host, perhaps something like

image=/clfs/boot/clfskernel-2.6.26.whichever
	read-only
	init=/clfs/sbin/pre-init

 and of course run ybin after this.

 It is important to do this on the host system, and to keep the host
kernel details in yaboot.conf, so that you can go back to ydl if the
new system is not found, or doesn't work, or just to use its apps.

 I'm not sure if the same yaboot.conf would work if you wanted to
run ybin inside the clfs system.  I guess it will (from memory, the
paths to the specified kernels are written to the bootstrap, and
then evaluated at boot-time), but a rescue CD (for the ydl host) is
always a good idea.

ĸen