[Clfs-dev] Seeking help to boot PowerPC64-Multilib

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 14 14:01:04 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 06:53:00PM +0400, John Frankish wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions - In the default ydl-6 configuration, it
> appears that there are 3 partitions - the boot partition, the main
> partition and the swap partition:
>
> # fdisk -l
>      Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/ps3da1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
> /dev/ps3da2              14        5664    45391657+  83  Linux
> /dev/ps3da3            5665        5729      522112+  82  Linux swap /
> Solaris
>
> I created /clfs on the main partition - /dev/ps3da2. Maybe /boot on
> the main partition is somehow linked to /dev/ps3da1 (it's not a
> symlink, but maybe a hard link)? I tried to modify yaboot.conf to
> boot from /clfs/boot, but it looks like it only looks on /dev/ps3da1
> (partition=1). The yaboot.conf on the host ydl-6 system looks like this:
>
> # yaboot.conf generated by anaconda
> boot=/dev/ps3da
> init-message=Welcome to YDL!\nHit <TAB> for boot options
> partition=1
> timeout=80
> install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
> delay=5
> enablecdboot
> enableofboot
> enablenetboot
> nonvram
> mntpoint=/boot/yaboot
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 I've no idea what that line means, or does, but it makes me wonder
if ps3da1 is indeed mounted at /boot or at /boot/yaboot.

 Oh, your fstab shows an ext3fs at /boot so I guess it is indeed
mounted there.  Unusual on ppc, but not outlandish.

> usemount
> default=linux
>
> image=/vmlinux-2.6.23-9.ydl6.1
>         label=linux
>         read-only
>         initrd=/initrd-2.6.23-9.ydl6.1.img
>         append="video=ps3fb:mode:13 rhgb quiet root=LABEL=/"
>
> image=/clfs/boot/clfskernel-2.6.27.4
>         label=clfs
>         read-only
>         init=/clfs/sbin/pre-init
>         append="video=ps3fb:mode:13 rhgb quiet root=LABEL=/"
>
> Is there any way to modify yaboot.conf to look on /dev/ps3da2 (whilst
> still maintaining the ydl boot capability) or do I somehow have to
> link /clfs/boot to /dev/ps3da1 - in case it helps, /etc/fstab is posted
> below
>
> Thanks
> John
> ---
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> spufs                   /spu                    spufs   defaults        0 0
> tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
> proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> LABEL=SWAP-ps3da3       swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

 What is the layout of /boot ?  Maybe you'll need to copy the clfs
kernel to it (space permitting, of course).

 In fact, the /path/to/clfskernel needs to be how yaboot will find
it at runtime.  That means it probably has to to be on the same
partition.  On a mac, we can run 'ofpath /dev/sdX' to get the open
firmware path to an image on a different partition (section 12.4).

 On a mac, yaboot.conf is copied to the apple_bootstrap partition by
ybin, and is read during the boot (bottom of Appendix E in the ppc64
book).  You quite clearly don't have this sort of partitioning.
Google found that booting on ps3 apparently used to need kboot, not
yaboot.  Unclear if that was just for the initial boot.  I wonder if
ydl's version of yaboot has been patched for the ps3 (check the
source rpms). ?

 'man yaboot.conf' on your ydl system is probably the best I can
suggest.  Perhaps it specifically mentions the ps3 ?  Maybe try
'ofpath /dev/ps3da2'.

ĸen