[Clfs-dev] PowerPC 64bit

wwh04660 at ucmo.edu wwh04660 at ucmo.edu
Sat Mar 29 21:27:41 PDT 2008

Howdy folks,

      The dual G5 2.5GHz machine arrived last week and this weekend
I've started a multilib svn build.

Ken had issues with bash-3.2 in tools section 6.4 with __ldbl_fprintf.

My host is a gentoo 64 bit userland install and this is what I've
gathered:

bash-3.1 built fine

bash-3.2 configured the same way as far as variables are concerned as
bash-3.1 did

I noticed that the build line included:
(Makefiles being mentioned are bash-3.2/Makefile   bash-3.2/builtins/
Makefile)

gcc -c  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DSHELL  -I. -I..  -I.. -I../include -I../lib -
I.    -g -DCROSS_COMPILING mkbuiltins.c

Of course it is gcc as CC_FOR_BUILD = gcc in the main Makefile and the
builtins Makefile.

But CFLAGS_FOR_BUILD = -g -DCROSS_COMPILING

Once I removed -DCROSS_COMPILING from builtins Makefile... it properly
built using __ldbl_fprintf in mkbuiltins.o.  With it in there,
mkbuiltins.o has x__ldbl_fprintf.

Maybe someone can now find a better explanation. These are my findings
so far.

I also changed CC_FOR_BUILD to powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc  from
gcc, otherwise it was using gcc from the gentoo host, but either way
it worked... also since the gentoo host is 64 bit userland, gcc
probably would work without issues. But if it were 32 bit, probably
not. Any input is welcome and appreciated. This has occured with
sparc64, too... however, David Broadfoot is building a sparc64 system
right now with 2.6.24.4 headers and had no issues. I don't know what
he used as his host, though.

Sincerely,

William