[Clfs-support] the forgotten clfs-3.0 book and the other clfs website

Justin R. Knierim cross-lfs at knierim.org
Wed Nov 23 07:49:12 PST 2016

On 11/21/2016 2:28 PM, Michele Bucca wrote:

> I wonder why this book is not listed on clfs.org <http://clfs.org>. It
> is not reachable from linuxfromscratch.org
> <http://linuxfromscratch.org> nor from clfs.org <http://clfs.org>
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/clfs/view/clfs-3.0/
>
> This 3.0 version is different from the current one. you should make
> this book available again and put it into a proper location. anyway
> how can I make an offline copy of the book above using wget?

I believe that URL needs to be removed, as it is obviously pointing to a
very old version of the book (SVN-0.0.1-20061204) and the 3.0 book is
available from the website, however there are systemd and sysvinit
versions of it available with their own URLs.

http://trac.clfs.org/wiki/news#AnnouncingCLFS3.0.0Release

If there are people who want to build a 10 year old version of CLFS, I
can make sure it shows up in the CLFS museum at http://archive.clfs.org/.

> some pages of the clfs book [1] have some links that point to
> cross-lfs.org <http://cross-lfs.org> but it is not operational. why
> there are two websites?
>
> [1]
> http://www.clfs.org/view/CLFS-3.0.0-SYSVINIT/x86/introduction/resources.html

It is a long story, but basically cross-lfs.org is no longer in the
projects possession, and so we have had to migrate over to clfs.org.  We
hope to get it back one day, but for now the website shown on
cross-lfs.org is not ours, and not owned by us.

--
Justin R. Knierim
cross dash lfs at knierim dot org