[Clfs-support] Host system missing needed packages

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Wed Jan 27 07:17:24 PST 2016

On Wed, January 27, 2016 06:48, sfeebots454 at cfl.rr.com wrote:
> On my eleventh attempt at CLFS/LFS the Binutils-2.25 produced using
> GIT-20160119-x86_64-Multilib failed 11 tests as it did in the previous
> attempt.
>
> ============================
> 11 of 213 tests failed
> See testsuite/test-suite.log
> ============================
>
> Just dealing with the first failure:
>
> FAIL: relro_test.sh
>
> ../../../binutils-2.25.1/gold/testsuite/relro_test.sh: line 63: dc:
> command not found
> ../../../binutils-2.25.1/gold/testsuite/relro_test.sh: line 64: dc:
> command not found
> ../../../binutils-2.25.1/gold/testsuite/relro_test.sh: line 66: test: :
> integer expression expected
> PT_GNU_RELRO segment does not end at page boundary.
>
> 63  RELRO_END=`echo "16o 16i $RELRO_START $RELRO_LEN + p" | dc`
> 64  REM=`echo "16i $RELRO_END $LOAD_ALIGN % p" | dc`
> 65
> 66  if test "$REM" -eq 0; then
>
> I believe my failed attempts all have to do with missing dependencies that
> break glibc, binutil, GCC and others. In truth the core packages have
> always failed a few too many tests.
>
> The developers of CLFS/LFS must not use "off the shelf" workstation
> distros. In that you add a developers layer on top of the distro you must
> be adding background packages that are not commonly installed in binary
> distros.

Given the fact that that GNU tools can be used across platforms is good
reason why lots of tests are ignored or XFAIL.

Also, the fact that devs keep creeping non perl way of doing things like
Bc commands could do, means that we now have to include Bc during tools
and cross-compile it so the final system can pass the tests requiring Bc
as they didn't include the configure options to ignore/skip thoses tests
if Bc is not included with the running system.

It's like the autoconf/automake test suite where Autoconf needs Automake
to complete the testsuite. So you install automake then go back and test
autoconf. Just do that with binutils. Install Bc, then go back and test.
Or just run the relro test by itself.

Simple:

1) Add a note in the book for Binutils to install Bc then come back and test.
2) Install Bc in /tools