[Clfs-support] systemd branch build report

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Sun Feb 2 13:10:09 PST 2014

On Feb 1, 2014, at 8:59 PM, Charlie Brown wrote:

> Hi,
> I've been following the systemd branch book. It's great that the
> maintainers have made so much progress, and thank you for providing
> this guide on building linux systems.
> Here is a report of problems I encountered upon finishing building and
> rebooting the system, and possible solution. I would apologize if the
> solution is indeed in the book and I missed that.
>
> * bzip2 is using /usr not /usr/share for man pages
> bzip2' makefile uses PREFIX/man for man pages. I wonder if I missed a
> symlink for /usr/doc, but couldn't find it in the book.

We don't do that symlink anymore.

> Anyway, a
> simple sed would fix it:
> sed -i "s@\(\$(PREFIX)/\)man@\1share/man at g" Makefile

This is in the 32bit and pure 64bit books, but not the multilib books.
Thanks for the report.

> * diffutils po files failed to install
> This error is ignored. In case that po files are needed, a simple
> patch (confirmed by this post:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-diffutils/2013-09/msg00003.html)
> is attached. I guess a sed would do, too.

Add this: sed -i 's:= @mkdir_p@:= /bin/mkdir -p:' po/Makefile.in.in
and a description for all books.

> * expat 32 bit library test need CXX="g++ ${BUILD32}" set to past.

Seems to be the same reason for the test failures during 32 bit bison.
Adding to expat. And fixing the make check text in expat for all books
during the configure command but BUILDN32 for mips N32.

> * systemd 64 bit install may need group adm,wheel to be present
> This error is ignored. I know little about acl and systemd, so I don't
> know if that would be a problem. Here are the commands that require
> these groups:
> setfacl -nm g:adm:rx,d:g:adm:rx /var/log/journal/
> setfacl -nm g:wheel:rx,d:g:wheel:rx /var/log/journal/

setfacl -nm g:adm:rx,d:g:adm:rx /var/log/journal/
setfacl: Option -m: Invalid argument near character 3
Makefile:14533: recipe for target 'libsystemd-journal-install-hook'
failed
make[5]: [libsystemd-journal-install-hook] Error 2 (ignored)
setfacl -nm g:wheel:rx,d:g:wheel:rx /var/log/journal/
setfacl: Option -m: Invalid argument near character 3
Makefile:14533: recipe for target 'libsystemd-journal-install-hook'
failed
make[5]: [libsystemd-journal-install-hook] Error 2 (ignored)

That is the commands and errors that are ignored.

We need to add the required adm group to /etc/groups, and I am not
sure about wheel.
May as well add both groups. wheel is usually configured (not by
default) when pam is installed and for use by sudo and su.

For the systemd branch I will also include some other groups and users
by default.

A lot of users will want pam for their systemd desktop installs at
least for when using logind, which is required for desktop systems for
the session manager and it uses linux pam to register/unregister user
sessions, and can use ssytemd user sesssions to start something as a
user. Useful for using krb or ldap credentials to login to a local
machine.

> * kbd's setfont location
> I don't know if I got it wrong when building systemd, but during boot
> systemd-vconsole-setup look for setfont in /usr/bin/setfont, not /bin.
> It shouldn't do that, as the book seems to expect /usr not available
> during early stage of booting. Anyway, I created a symlink in
> /usr/bin.
>

> * /etc/mtab
> Systemd seems to require it to be a symlink to /proc/self/mounts.

I've verified those are already in all 32bit, multilib, and pure 64
books, in both boot and chroot sections. I added that toward the end
of last month.

I'm uploading the newest render anda ll has been pushed. It would help
if users could verify the changes. I usually render the changes before
I push and upload the final render.

http://cross-lfs.org/~kb0iic/CLFS-GIT-SYSTEMD/html/index.html