[Clfs-support] gcc-4.8.0 clfs

Martin Ward macros_the_black at ntlworld.com
Tue May 28 11:25:09 PDT 2013

On 28/05/13 18:50, bvl wrote:
> On Monday 27 May 2013 22:24:30 Martin Ward wrote:
>> i think this is where u are going wrong
>>
>> first you should create a mount point  for the new build,
>>
>> export this location in the environment , typically
>>
>> export CLFS=/mnt/clfs
>>
>> both tools and cross tools are directories under that mount point
>>
>> these are them symlinked to the host's root file system
>>
>> so its
>>
>> ln -sv ${CLFS}/tools /
>>
>> which expands to
>>
>> ln -svf /mnt/clfs/tools  / not as you have above!
>>

>> and similar with cross-tools
>>
>> ln -svf /mnt/clfs/cross-tools  /
> I am not a stranger to LFS/CLFS.
>
> And yes I created the links like so:-
> mkdir -pv ${CLFS}/tools
> ln -sv ${CLFS}/tools               /
>
> and so
> mkdir -pv ${CLFS}/cross-tools
> ln      -sv  ${CLFS}/cross-tools  /
>
> I followed the book religously on two setups:-
>
> --setup1: gcc-4.4.2, linux-3.0.x,glibc-2.10 (cpu amd64 3core) OS-cblfs
> --setup2: gcc-4.6.2, linux-3.6.5,glibc-2.14 (cpu amd64 3core) OS-cblfs
>
> before starting these were done:-
> a) the partition on each occasion was reformatted with fdisk,
> b) the mount point (/mnt/clfs) removed,
> c) the symlinks /cross-tools and /tools removed
> e) the user and group clfs  removed  with home directory /home/clfs
> f) i.e. everything zeroed.
>
> After setting up the user and making the symlinks etc
> I initially created a test file in each /mnt/clfs/cross-tools and
> /mnt/clfs/tools and fetched them from /cross-tools and /tools respectively
> (just as a small test ).  Both /mnt/clfs/cross-tools and /mnt/clfs/tools
> belonged to user clfs and  there were no iffy links as far as I could discern
> before starting the build on both occasions.
>

> I then reached as far as
> http://cross-lfs.org/view/svn/x86_64-64/temp-system/bash.html
> and did the test
> readelf -e /tools/bin/bash |  grep interpret
>
> and it returned
> Requesting program interpreter /tools/tools/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
>
> The only programs it returns   the correct path for are for programs which are
> part of glibc
> for example
> readelf -e /tools/bin/iconv |  grep interpret
> readelf -e /tools/bin/getent |  grep interpret
> etc
>
> returns
> Requesting program interpreter /tools/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
>

> Thanks for your help but whatever the problem I dont think it is link
> creation.  I am wondering if this is a biug.
>
> I have had iffy downloads of eglibc before.  And as I said If you posted  the
> copy of eglibc-2.17  that you successfully used  somewhere on the cblfs setup
> I could download it as I am unsure of the version of eglibc I am using.

Ok sorry to be a bit pedantic, but sometimes it helps to sit back and go
through step by step

The eglibc tarball is nearly 12MB compressed, and i don't have
write/commit access to the clfs site

to check out eglibc

svn co svn://svn.eglibc.org/branches/eglibc-2_17 "what ever name you
want to call it"

current is revision 23168, no changes have been merged  for over two
months, so it will be the same as what I used to build clfs

change into the directory

cp -R libc  eglibc-2.17-r23168, this so we can keep updating eglibc
(using svn update) with out downloading the whole lot again.

tar -cf eglibc-2.17-r23168.tar eglibc-2.17-r23168
xz eglibc-2.17-r23168.tar

you then should have the compressed tarball to use as you wish

if you want a specific revision  you can use -r NUMBER i.e

svn co -r 22751 svn://svn.eglibc.org/branches/eglibc-2_17

hope that helps

Martin