[Clfs-support] QEMU and testing the book

William Harrington berzerkula at cox.net
Tue Jul 31 14:08:17 PDT 2012

On Jul 27, 2012, at 15:35 PM, William Harrington wrote:

> Howdy everybody,
>
> In the past I've had actual hardware to build the different CLFS
> books: PPC, PPC64, SPARC64, x86, x86_64, MIPS64  and I don't have
> PPC64, SPARC64, and mips64 machine is too slow.
>
> I am checking out qemu and I notice the sparc64 isn't completely
> ready to use.
>
> Do any of the subscribers here use qemu to build any of the MIPS or
> PPC books?
>
> I did get a malta kernel and debian squeeze qcow2 image and I had
> it boot once, but it likes to crash when bringing up the eth0
> interface. Also I'm using this on my super fast machine in windows
> 7 hehe.  May load a linux distro on it and try qemu from there.
>
> Any successful kernel and image configurations and command line
> options for mips or ppc/ppc64 ?
> By the way I'm using the latest 20111119 qemu w32 port.
>
> Sincerely
>
> William Harrington

I seem to reply to myself a lot around here. I setup debian with
binfmt-support and qemu static and I was building with the git book
of ppc with some good results. I think qemu static is the way to go
for what I want to do for testing the book.  Of course test suites
will go out the window cause of the emulated environment, so I won't
be able to get accurate results that way.