[Clfs-support] Problem with NFS-root on new kernel

Andrew Bradford andrew at bradfordembedded.com
Wed Aug 8 04:28:31 PDT 2012

On Tuesday 07 August 2012 21:00:10 Ron McDowell wrote:
> Getting real close to calling "success" on this one...
>
> I have my new World [NFS-mounted root filesystem] built, up and
> running with an old 2.6.32 kernel that came with my board.  Built a
> new 2.6.39.4 kernel and installed it, but it hangs when it gets to
> the point where it wants to mount the root fs...see the end of the
> attached boot text.  I'm sure something in my .config isn't right,
> but can't put my finger on it.  Has anyone had this issue before?

Can you build a 2.6.32 kernel and get it to boot with your toolchain?
That's the first step, make sure you can build and boot the same kernel
provided by your board, rule out the toolchain.

If you can do that (extract the config from the board supplied kernel, if
you can), then build from source and boot that.  If that works, do a
'make oldconfig' with a newer kernel source tree and see if that'll boot.
Then at least you'll be fairly certain that you have a reasonable
starting point for your config.

-Andrew