[Clfs-support] Cannot login on serial port (embedded ARM, busybox)

Andrew Bradford bradfa at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 05:10:48 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Lance Jump <lancej29 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Anyway, I changed it in the uClibc build process with a conditional sed:
>> >
>> > if [ "${CLFS_FLOAT}" == "soft" ]; then
>> >    sed -i s/"UCLIBC_HAS_FPU=y"/"# UCLIBC_HAS_FPU is not set"/g .config
>> > fi
>
> Okay, I can do that.  To be clear, the patch will add the instruction about
> floating point and the sed line I have included here.

Awesome!  Thanks!

> As a separate item
> (maybe still on my plate) we should fix the creation of /dev/null and
> /dev/console.  We have three choices: leave it where it is, but change the
> location ${CLFS}-final; move it to before the clone to ${CLFS}-final; or
> delete it altogether.  In my testing, I found it was needed.

I think the best fix is to change it to apply to ${CLFS}-final.  I'm
not sure if the nodes stay correct when tar'ed up.  If they do, then
moving it before ${CLFS}-final is doable.

> I'm no longer expert on sed, so writing sed scripts to massage the config
> file will be a little difficult for me -- but not insurmountable.  For now,
> maybe we should just leave them as-is.

I think your sed line is good.  It's easy to understand and read for
those who also aren't sed experts.  I'm not a sed expert.

At this point, regarding the sed line and the mknod commands, I think
these discussions should either move to the -dev mailing list or into
individual trac tickets.  We've worked through the support side and
found things that need to be updated in the book.

Thanks,
Andrew