[Clfs-support] Proper CLFS setup for an ARM Cortex A8

Andrew Bradford bradfa at gmail.com
Tue May 10 13:08:52 PDT 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Hector Oron <hector.oron at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/5/10 Angel Ivan Castell Rovira <al004140 at gmail.com>:
>>     - CLFS_FPU: There are a lot of features (vfp, vfpv3, neon). What do you
>> think it is the best choice?
> Depends on your hardware, your platform seems to have neon, that's the
> one. Building vfpv3 would make your rootfs more compatible, i.e. able
> to run on tegra devices which does not have neon FPU.

Also note that VFPv3 is IEEE 754 compliant floating point.  NEON is _NOT_.
If that's important to you, definitely don't use NEON.
Granted, if you want to do neat SIMD (single instruction, multiple
data, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIMD) NEON is the way to go.
Realistically, a multilib situation that can switch between NEON and
VFPv3 is the best of both worlds but I'm unsure of how to implement
that.

>> As you can see, there is no Cortex A8. What is the proper Target Processor
>> Type I should select here?

Generic Arm is a good choice if you're using arm mode.

-Andrew