[Clfs-support] Proper CLFS setup for an ARM Cortex A8

Angel Ivan Castell Rovira al004140 at gmail.com
Tue May 10 08:27:16 PDT 2011

Hello again, forum!

After building with success a working CLFS based toolchain for the armv4t, I
want to try the same process for a more powerfull ARM processor: Cortex A8.

CPU details of my Cortex A8 platform:

    $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    Processor   : ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
    BogoMIPS    : 597.64
    Features    : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfpv3
    CPU implementer : 0x41
    CPU architecture: 7
    CPU variant : 0x1
    CPU part    : 0xc08
    CPU revision    : 3

The CLFS environment variables I have selected:

    export CLFS="/home/clfs"
    export CLFS_HOST=$(echo ${MACHTYPE} | sed "s/-[^-]*/-cross/")
    export CLFS_TARGET="armv7-unknown-linux-uclibceabi"
    export CLFS_ABI="aapcs-linux"
    export CLFS_ARCH="arm"
    export CLFS_ENDIAN="little"
    export CLFS_ARM_MODE="arm"
    export CLFS_FLOAT="softfp"
    export CLFS_FPU="vfpv3"
    export CLFS_ARM_ARCH="armv7-a"

Some questions related with that CLFS environ variables:

    - CLFS_ARM_ARCH: It is armv7-a the proper selection?
    - CLFS_FLOAT: It is better to use "hard" or "softfp"?
    - CLFS_FPU: There are a lot of features (vfp, vfpv3, neon). What do you
think it is the best choice?

With the previous CLFS environment, binutils 2.21 and the static gcc
compiler vers. 4.6.0 have been built fine. After that, I was trying to
configure the uClibc with make menuconfig:

    $ make menuconfig
        Target ABI (EABI)  --->
        Target Processor Type (XXX)  --->

but the list XXX does not show my real Target Processor Type. This is the
list shown:

    (X) Generic Arm
    ( ) Arm 610
    ( ) Arm 710
    ( ) Arm 7TDMI
    ( ) Arm 720T
    ( ) Arm 920T
    ( ) Arm 922T
    ( ) Arm 926T
    ( ) Arm 10T
    ( ) Arm 1136JF-S
    ( ) Arm 1176JZ-S
    ( ) Arm 1176JZF-S
    ( ) Arm Cortex-M3
    ( ) Arm Cortex-M1
    ( ) Intel StrongArm SA-110
    ( ) Intel StrongArm SA-1100
    ( ) Intel Xscale
    ( ) Intel Xscale With WMMX PXA27x

As you can see, there is no Cortex A8. What is the proper Target Processor
Type I should select here?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards,
  -- Ivan