[Clfs-support] Problem compiling e2fsprogs

Nazmul Alam fadedreamz at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 20:37:08 PST 2011

Andrew ,

Thank you. I will try them out.

There were at least two file which uses utime.h, one is debugfs another is
misc.c (probably).

I found something interesting, kind of a hint, while searching for solution
to a error (gcc). It suggested that somewhere in build process the LD flag
is set to its default setting. I was wondering, if anything like this is
happening in e2fsprogs compilation.

Thanks again,

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 5:53 AM, Andrew Bradford <bradfa at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Nazmul,
>>>
>>> I get the same error when using the 20101128 embedded ARM book, you're
>>> not alone.  I'm going to dig into this and see what I can find.  A more
>>> detailed output of error message from the compilation is (please note, my
>>> ${CLFS} resolves to /home/andrew/clfs-embedded/filesystem):
>>>
>>> making all in debugfs
>>> make[2]: Entering directory
>>> `/home/andrew/clfs-embedded/filesystem/sources/e2fsprogs-1.41.4/build/debugfs'
>>>         MK_CMDS debug_cmds.c
>>>         CC debug_cmds.c
>>>         CC ../../debugfs/debugfs.c
>>>         CC ../../debugfs/util.c
>>>         CC ../../debugfs/ncheck.c
>>>         CC ../../debugfs/icheck.c
>>>         CC ../../debugfs/ls.c
>>>         CC ../../debugfs/lsdel.c
>>>         CC ../../debugfs/dump.c
>>> ../../debugfs/dump.c:22:19: fatal error: utime.h: No such file or
>>> directory
>>> compilation terminated.
>>> make[2]: *** [dump.o] Error 1
>>> make[2]: Leaving directory
>>> `/home/andrew/clfs-embedded/filesystem/sources/e2fsprogs-1.41.4/build/debugfs'
>>>
>>> -Andrew

> Nazmul,
>
> When doing the configure step for e2fsprogs, try adding these two switches
> at the end "--disable-debugfs --disable-e2initrd-helper".  This will prevent
> everything in debugfs (our friend dump.c) and the e2initrd-helper (who also
> wants utime.h) from being built.
> Also note, this built for me with both e2fsprogs-1.41.4 and
> e2fsprogs-1.41.14.
>
> My configure for e2fsprogs-1.41.4 looks like this:
> CC="${CC}  -Os" ../configure --prefix=/usr   --with-root-prefix="" \
> --host=${CLFS_TARGET} --with-cc="${CC} -Os"   \
> --with-linker=${LD} --disable-tls --disable-debugfs \
> --disable-e2initrd-helper
>
> I'm not sure what the impact of not having debugfs or e2initrd-helper is,
> but it builds.
> See if that's helpful for you.  If not, then finding out why utime.h can't
> be found will be the next step.  I've not been successful there yet.
>
> For best results, delete the folder you've been building e2fsprogs in and
> untar a new copy of it.  Then follow the embedded book (git 20101128
> version) section 7.5 but adding the two switches I mention above.  Let me
> know if it works or not.
>
> Regards,
> Andrew

with best regards