[Clfs-support] Problem compiling e2fsprogs

Andrew Bradford bradfa at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 15:53:56 PST 2011

> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 9:12 PM, Andrew Bradford <bradfa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Nazmul Alam <fadedreamz at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hello there,
>>> I am trying to CLFS for arm development. I am following the book and has
>>> been successful setting up the CLFS till e2fsprogs.
>>> While trying to compile the e2fsprogs the Makefile generates but
>>> compilation fails giving error message saying: "file not found utime.h".
>>>
>>> I am trying to build CLFS for arm-unknown-linux & ABI is apts. Please
>>> advice as I am very new to linux system.
>>>
>>> thanks in advance.
>>> --
>>> with best regards
>>>        nazmul alam shovon
>>>
>>> email : fadedreamz at gmail.com
>>>

>> Nazmul,
>>
>> I get the same error when using the 20101128 embedded ARM book, you're not
>> alone.  I'm going to dig into this and see what I can find.  A more detailed
>> output of error message from the compilation is (please note, my ${CLFS}
>> resolves to /home/andrew/clfs-embedded/filesystem):
>>
>> making all in debugfs
>> make[2]: Entering directory
>> `/home/andrew/clfs-embedded/filesystem/sources/e2fsprogs-1.41.4/build/debugfs'
>>         MK_CMDS debug_cmds.c
>>         CC debug_cmds.c
>>         CC ../../debugfs/debugfs.c
>>         CC ../../debugfs/util.c
>>         CC ../../debugfs/ncheck.c
>>         CC ../../debugfs/icheck.c
>>         CC ../../debugfs/ls.c
>>         CC ../../debugfs/lsdel.c
>>         CC ../../debugfs/dump.c
>> ../../debugfs/dump.c:22:19: fatal error: utime.h: No such file or
>> directory
>> compilation terminated.
>> make[2]: *** [dump.o] Error 1
>> make[2]: Leaving directory
>> `/home/andrew/clfs-embedded/filesystem/sources/e2fsprogs-1.41.4/build/debugfs'
>>
>> -Andrew

Nazmul,

When doing the configure step for e2fsprogs, try adding these two switches
at the end "--disable-debugfs --disable-e2initrd-helper".  This will prevent
everything in debugfs (our friend dump.c) and the e2initrd-helper (who also
wants utime.h) from being built.
Also note, this built for me with both e2fsprogs-1.41.4 and
e2fsprogs-1.41.14.

My configure for e2fsprogs-1.41.4 looks like this:
CC="${CC}  -Os" ../configure --prefix=/usr   --with-root-prefix="" \
--host=${CLFS_TARGET} --with-cc="${CC} -Os"   \
--with-linker=${LD} --disable-tls --disable-debugfs \
--disable-e2initrd-helper

I'm not sure what the impact of not having debugfs or e2initrd-helper is,
but it builds.
See if that's helpful for you.  If not, then finding out why utime.h can't
be found will be the next step.  I've not been successful there yet.

For best results, delete the folder you've been building e2fsprogs in and
untar a new copy of it.  Then follow the embedded book (git 20101128
version) section 7.5 but adding the two switches I mention above.  Let me
know if it works or not.

Regards,
Andrew