[Clfs-support] Proper ABI selection for the ARMv4t platform

Angel Ivan Castell Rovira al004140 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 07:16:27 PDT 2011

> > Based on table 6.2 of the CLFS book, it seems version that ARM
> > version 4 must be OABI, but based on section 6.3 (ABI variables), book
> says
> > EABI is compatible with ARMv4t and newer cores. I selected OABI, but now
> I'm
> > not sure if that was the best choice.
>
> I would recommend revert to EABI. With a patch (not sure if it is at
> CLFS) you can make v4 EABI build.

Can some of you confirm if that patch is really necesary to build a working
CLFS toolchain for the ARMv4t / EABI / uClibc based?
I have built that toolchain for the ARMv4t, and all userspace apps/libs are
built fine with that toolchain. However, I could not test if generated
bins/libs are working fine, because the kernel compiled with that CLFS
toolchain hangs when it starts running the userspace.

> > If ARMv4t is EABI compatible, I will build my cross-toolchain again. But
> > have to select properly the value of the CLFS_ABI variable (based on the
> > table 6.1, "aapcs" or "aapcs-linux"). Does some of you know the
> difference
> > between both options?
>
> aapcs defines enums to be a variable sized type, while with
> aapcs-linux they are always ints (4 bytes)
> From: http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort

Thank you for the information. I'm learning a lot with all your help, now
that is completely clear :)

Best regards,
  -- Ivan