[Clfs-support] Linkage error when making uClibc-0.9.31

Andrew Bradford bradfa at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 11:03:05 PDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Angel Ivan Castell Rovira
<al004140 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Both patches seem to be the same. I have tested the one from "openwrt" with
> gcc 4.5.2, and the issues reported yesterday at this forum seems to
> reproduce exactly the same problem.

OK, that's good to know.  Thanks for trying them.

> I was worried about the configuration parameter "--disable-decimal-float"
> when building static gcc. I was thinking it could be related with the "soft
> floating point" linkage problems. So, I also tryied everything enabling that
> feature, but I always get the same wrong result.

Decimal floats are a floating point system that's different from the
normal IEEE 754 floating point system (what's normally thought of as
floating point).  It literally uses decimal numbers, in base ten.  I
don't think you'll find much by enabling or disabling decimal floating
point, other than to have decimal floating point available in GCC
(which most people probably don't use).  It shouldn't affect what
we're seeing here.

If you have some free time, take a look at the Buildroot system:
http://buildroot.uclibc.org/
They build a toolchain with uClibc.  If their menuconfig offers to
build a soft float armv4t cross-compiler, see if it builds
successfully.  If so, record the output.  By looking through their
patches and build steps we may be able to gain some insight into a
solution.  I learned a lot from their build system regarding using the
EABI configs for armv7-a.

Buildroot will allow you to build an entire system but you can
configure it to only do the cross compiler (much shorter build time).
It could be helpful for you if you need a working toolchain quickly,
at least until we can solve this issue.

-Andrew