[Clfs-support] Keyboard If You Are Going to Boot

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 05:48:41 PDT 2009

John wrote:
> Joe Ciccone wrote :-
>

>> If you do end up following the boot method again. See if you can edit
>> /etc/sysconfig/console on the CLFS system and set your keymap in there.
>> That may be all you need to do. Off the top of my head I don't remember
>> if the console bootscript is included with the minimal set of scripts. I
>> would assume that it is though.
>>
>> If that doesn't work I'd like to know so that it can be fixed. I only
>> have keyboards with a QWERTY US layout so I've never had any issues with
>> the layout myself.
>> _
>>

> I am not an expert by any means but I have my doughts on this.
>
> Keyboard maps and commands like loadkeys are not installed untill 10.38.1.
> Booting is from the end of chapter 7 following "If You Are Going to Boot".
> So my reasoning is that even if I edit a configuration file there is no map
> load on booting at the end of chapter 7 and no command to do it.
> For this to work I think kbd must be installed before the end of chapter 7.
> For anyone that needs US layout and another this might be the better idea.

Very good point.
> My current thoughts are to expand on Marks idea as follows :-
>
> Just before 7.10.Linux-2.6.24.7 open the kbd tarball.
>
> The command then becomes for me with a Swedish keyboard :-
>
> loadkeys -m ${CLFS}/sources/kbd-1.13/data/keymaps/i386/qwerty/sv-latin1.map
> \
>   > drivers/char/devkeymap.c
>
> There are loads of other keymaps there.
> This removes some of the objections raised i ticket #56 as it does not rely
> on knowing
> where the keymaps are or will be. It does not copy files from the host.
>
> I will report back on how things went. I should be kernel compiling next
> week.

Ok, there are definitally some things that need to change with this
section. I'll try to take care of it this weekend. I'd still rather
cross-compile kbd then compile the keymap into the kernel. compiling the
keymap into the kernel requires you to have a working loadkeys binary on
the host. I'm sure that 99% of the linux systems do, but I'm worried
about those 1% of the builds that aren't from linux.